We are looking optimistically forward to the next fiscal year. Last year’s concerning revenue outlook led to conservative budgeting and spending, but the outcome has been far better than imagined, permitting the town to increase its projected yearend financial position year over year. Federal funding has provided support to offset increased costs of navigating the pandemic, and the American Rescue Plan Act promises to further improve conditions for Woodfin aiding in previously unaffordable but necessary capital investments and required program needs.
A summary of key accomplishments and decisions during FY2021-2022 include:
• Groundbreaking at Silver-Line Park, the debut of the long-awaited Woodfin Greenway & Blueway
• Approving $3 million in spending to finance our road maintenance and paving project
• Hiring a seasoned town manager able to hit the ground running
• Hiring a project manager with a focus on our Blueway/Greenway and parks projects
• Assessing town assets and infrastructure by replacing aged public works equipment, sanitation trucks, and police vehicles
• Updating zoning ordinances and building in controls to ensure smart development with more comprehensive zoning ordinance and new steep slope ordinance and conditional zoning
• Began work on the town’s new comprehensive plan which will lay the foundation for future decisions
Collectively and cumulatively, these key decisions laid a foundation for increased organizational performance, supplying resources to former and newer employees who strive to provide quality service to the community. They also inform the FY2022-2023 budget decisions that are now before us.
|Expenditure||FY 22 Budget||FY 23 Base Budget||FY 23 Expansion Budget||FY 23 Recommended Budget|
|Planning & Zoning||$411,714||$357,110||$73,162||$430,272|
|Public Works: Streets Division||$532,932||$581,546||$348,512||$750,058|
|Powell Bill Division||$395,600||$233,000||-||$233,000|
|Public Works: Sanitation Division||$1,197,229||$891,275||$334,500||$1,225,775|
|Parks & Recreation||$529,347||$489,024||-||$489,024|
|Transfers to Capital Projects Fund||$140,580||-||$401,600||$401,600|
|Total Estimated General Fund Expenditures||$6,441,576||$6,191,195||$1,850,377||$8,041,572|
The Public is invited to attend Woodfin’s Board of Commissioners meeting on June 21, 2022, at 6:30pm. A Public Hearing will be held on the FY2022-2023 fiscal budget and anyone that wishes to speak regarding the proposed budget will be allowed to do so at that time. See the entire approved budget here.